The Weekly One-Shot for this week is Obsidian Heart.
Sometimes the best hiding place is, in plain sight. This lava-filled cavern is often used by bandits and other unsavory creatures as a place to store their loot until they can move it to a safer location. Just placing the treasure at the center of the Obsidian Heart discourages casual travelers from snatching it. But what about the more courageous adventurers?
It took a while for this map to come together. I wanted to have a central location with multiple paths to reach it. I liked the idea of one path being the easier path, but a more difficult conclusion, while the other path was a difficult road, but an easy climax. When I was done, the result had the look of a heart with a pair of lungs. With lava at the core, the name just came together naturally.
- Area 1 presents the party with an immediate choice. Left? Or right?
- A hidden room, Area 2, is a good place to hide some treasure that might help them in the heart.
- Before descending into the heart, Area 3 could be where the party meets up with guards protecting the treasure
- Area 4 has a lot of possibilities. It could be a combat encounter or, even better, a role playing encounter with the owner of the treasure
- The heart itself, Area 7, has two entrances. From the left you are only a couple steps from the center, but the ledge on the right is at least 20′ above the lava making it a more difficult challenge.
How Did I Draw This Map?
You can watch me draw this map in GIMP on my YouTube channel. I draw a new map every week and members get them for free. The map drawing starts at 56:10.
Want FREE Maps Just Like This One?
- The high-resolution version of this map was FREE for members when it was released
- If you join now, you will get a new map sent to you every week plus early-access discounts on other products
- All maps include a GM version showing trap locations and hidden passages plus 2 player versions (with and without a grid)
- Each is high-resolution and sized to work with Roll20.